Dear Year Six and your Parents,
I hope you have enjoyed the Easter break and are feeling refreshed and ready for your final term at primary school.
This half-term we will be focused on SATs but we will also be looking at two contrasting countries – one from Europe and one from Central America. The jigsaw on the blog will tell you more about what we are doing.
Miss Brackley, our PGCE student teacher, will be working with us this term.
This is a very important term for the children as they take their SATs and prepare to move on to their secondary schooling. Please be aware of the following dates:
- Monday 8th May – Reading test.
- Tuesday 9th May – Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation and Vocabulary tests.
- Wednesday 10th May – Arithmetic test and Problem Solving and Reasoning Paper
- Thursday 11th May – Problem Solving and Reasoning Paper
I have included a weekly timetable below and I shall take this opportunity to give a few reminders!
- The children will need their full P.E. kit on Thursday and Friday and some weeks we will also have cricket on some Mondays.
- Numeracy homework will be set on Wednesday and will be due in on the Monday of the following week.
- Literacy homework will be set on a Friday to be handed in by the following Tuesday.
- Spellings will be set and tested on Fridays, please encourage your child to practise their spellings at home – including the Year 5 and 6 Spelling words.
- Can I also take this opportunity to remind you that I expect the children to read for at least fifteen minutes, everyday; I would like to think that they were reading for longer than this.
- Please can you ensure that all clothing is named and that children always have a water bottle with them in the classroom (they do not have access to the water fountain during lesson time).
Other dates for this term:
21st April – Cricket assembly
21st April – closing date for photography competition
25th April – Tag Rugby tournament at South Zeal
1st May – no school, Bank Holiday
8th May – SATs week
16th May – first round of the Dartmoor Cup (cricket)
22nd May – girl’s cricket competition
23rd May – Kingfisher project field trip (am)
23rd May – meeting for parents and pupils with Okehampton College staff at 6.30pm
24th May – finals of the Dartmoor cup (cricket)
26th May – Half term starts
5th June – return to school
21st June – Sports Day
26th June – Bikeability during this week
3rd July – Taster Day at Okehampton College
5th July – Kingfisher picnic after school at Newton St Cyres
7th July – Swimming Gala
18th July – Science Day for all Year 6 at Okehampton College
19th July – Trip to Plymouth to see Gangsta Granny ?
20th July – Leavers’ Service at Church 2pm
21st July – Leavers’ Assembly at school 2pm
This is always a very busy term so please read the newsletter / website carefully for further dates and information.
Should you have any concerns or queries, please do not hesitate to come and speak to me.
Miss Deborah Philpott
Red Deer Timetable Summer 2017
|HT Collective Worship||Numeracy||Break||Reading||Literacy||
|Grammar||RE||PHSE / ICT|
|Key Stage Collective Worship||Numeracy||Break||Reading||Literacy||
|Paul / Wez Collective Worship||Numeracy||Break||Reading||Literacy||
|Th||S||Class Collective Worship||Numeracy||Break||Reading||Literacy||C||Art / DT||PE|