A great start to the new half term has culminated in today’s Superhero day!
In maths, we failed to stop the bomb on the train exploding as we tried to work out how to defuse it – more work on fractions needed next week.
We developed our Superhero personas as we thought about our back stories, powers, gadgets, side-kicks etc. – soon to be on display in school.
We ended the day with some Superhero training as we attempted to move bombs without exploding them – we decided to leave flying practice to another day!
Earlier in the week Finlay, Kate, Monty and Liam had done a very fine job of representing the school at the Okehampton Rotary Club final. They did a splendid job and it was a very close competition, so close that they had to take part in a tie-break to decide who should be the runner-up and were just piped to the post by South Tawton. Well done to Okehampton Primary who won.
Congratulations to all of you who entered stories into Chagword and / or BBC Radio 2’s 500 Word competition – I think the judges will have a very tough job as there were lots of great entries.
Below are reminders for next week and a link to this half term’s newsletter – the jigsaw will follow shortly.
- Maths homework due in on Monday
- Keep reading. Can you find something to read with a Superhero theme or a training manual? If you’re reading an Alex Rider book or similar, think about the differences / similarities between a superhero and a hero.
- Keep working on Year 5 and 6 spelling words. New words with super to learn too (but only 7)
- Next week:
- Tuesday – some of you have cross country
- Wednesday – The Twits – see the information in the Newsletter
- Get your grown-ups to sign up for Parents’ meetings.
- Today you’ve thought about your superhero alter ego. Your homework task is to write a story staring your superhero – it could be written in the first or third person. Aim for around 500 words. Are you going to battle against your nemesis or are you racing to save the world from impending disaster or just trying to work out how to hide your superhero identity and powers from your nosey sister? You could illustrate your story or even tell it comic book style.